Whitney Partners LLC
250,000 square feet
70 Jobs + Construction
The David Whitney Building, designed by Daniel Burnham, was constructed in 1915 and served as an office building until it was closed in 1999. The 19-story Building is located at the northern tip of Detroit's historic downtown and together with the Broderick Tower, serves as a gateway to the Central Business District. The building also includes a station with direct access to the Detroit People Mover.
This transaction provided for the redevelopment of the building into a mixed-use project which includes 7,000 SF of retail, 135 room Aloft hotel, and 106 market-rate apartments.
In addition to its direct employment and economic benefits, this project supports several targeted revitalization initiatives which include the West District Redevelopment Strategy, the M-1 Rail Transit-Oriented Development Initiative, 15x15 and the Live Downtown Incentive Program.